Advance Directives

People who are 18 years old or older often make important choices about their health. State law lets you accept or refuse medical or surgical treatment. The law lets you pick someone to choose your care if you cannot. You can also say you want to make an organ donation. The form that states your choices is called an advance directive.

If there are any changes in the law, we will let you know within 90 days. The best way to make sure your advance directive is followed is to write it down. Your primary care provider (PCP) will help you create an advance directive. Make sure you keep a copy and give a copy to your PCP.

Complaints about non-compliance with advance directive laws and regulations may be filed with the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) complaint hotline at 1-888-419-3456.

Living will

A living will is a type of advance directive. You should always get help writing a living will. It needs to be very clear. Keep one copy in a safe place. Give the other copy to your PCP. Download a living will (PDF).

Choosing a health care surrogate

Sometimes we need help making choices. Often we need that help when we are very sick.

A health care surrogate is someone you pick to make health care choices for you. They can only make choices for you during the time you are too sick to make your own choices. You should pick someone you trust. Talk with them about your wishes. Make sure they understand what you want.

Always get help writing a health care surrogate agreement. Be sure to include clear limits in the surrogate’s authority. Download a health care surrogate form (PDF).

Get help and more information from the AHCA.